Join the first guided tours through the rich wildlife of the Nuwejaars Wetlands area.
And become one of the first to see our secretive hippo and our proud buffalo.
You can see the Nuwejaars Wetlands Area for yourself, on one of our guided tours.
But hurry – the tours will run until October 2017.
For more info or to book firstname.lastname@example.org 076 833 6341
Wildlife Guided Tour
What can you expect?
On Saturday morning, join our Wildlife Guided Tour, starting at the Black Oystercatcher.
- We’ll take a trip through the rich landscapes of the Nuwejaars Wetlands SMA, to Waagschaalvlei – where the hippo live (remember, the hippo can sometimes be quite secretive, so there’s always the chance they may not show themselves).
- And then you’ll head on to the buffalo boma, and get up close and personal with one of the Big Five, with a cup of coffee and some rusks.
- You’ll be taken care of by one or both of our accredited SMA tour guides, who will have a wealth of knowledge on the game, birds and the rich fynbos.
- The tour lasts between 2-3 hours, weather dependent.
Sunset Wetlands Tour
Then Saturday evening, join our Sunset Wetlands Tour, starting at the Black Oystercatcher.
- The tour will take you to Waagschaalvlei, where the hippo live.
- There you’ll relax with a glass of cool-climate wine (from wineries who are members of the Nuwejaars Wetlands SMA).
- (Bear in mind that while the hippo are generally quite active in the evenings, the weather may prevent them from showing themselves – and there is always the chance they’ll stay hidden during your trip.)
- You’ll be taken care of by our accredited SMA tour guides, and will have access to the hidden-away wetlands rich in plant- and bird life.
- The tour lasts around 2 hours, but is weather dependent.
Why we’re loving Hunca the Cape leopard
We’ve got a new name for the Cape leopard photographed on the Nuwejaars SMA recently – thanks to you. You sent in great names in our ‘Name our leopard’ competition. The winning name is ‘Hunca’, a Bushman name meaning ‘cat at river’.
Congratulations to Surene Maritz, our competition winner. She wins a Sunset Wetlands Tour for herself and 3 friends, worth R1000.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The winner will be announced on 27 September 2017.
The prize is four tickets to our Nuwejaars Sunset Wetlands Tour, worth R1000.
The winner will be selected from Facebook, Twitter and Instagram entries by Nuwejaars staff.
The prize is valid until 31 December 2017, and is subject to availability.
Winner must arrange and cover the cost of their transport to and from the Black Oystercatcher, where the tour starts.
The Nuwejaars SMA’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
We reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions.
Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
We reserve the right to delete and remove any inappropriate comments on social media, and to ban individuals who may leave inappropriate comments.
Prize cannot be exchanged for money.
The winner will receive a message via the social media platform they entered on, and the winner’s name will appear on the Nuwejaars social media platforms and website.
Prize collection will be arranged with the Nuwejaars administration team.
We acknowledge that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Make it a weekend getaway and stay over at our NWSMA members’ accommodation.
The Jubilee Hill cottage is situated on the historical Zoetendals Vallei farm, and overlooks the Zoetendalsvlei – the largest freshwater lake in South Africa that is connected to the sea. The self-catering cottage is ideal for nature lovers, while the lake is used by kite-surfers and canoeists.
Black Oystercatcher Cottages
The Black Oystercatcher offers 4 self-catering cottages, on the road between Bredasdorp and Elim. The cottages overlook the Agulhas Plain – and from here you can eat delicious meals and taste wine at the Black Oystercatcher Restaurant, or visit local sights (for example in nearby Elim).
This house is situated on the beautiful Klipfontein Farm – a birder’s paradise (and also just down the road from Struisbaai). The house sleeps 10 – and visitors can walk, enjoy the game (including eland), cycle, or just enjoy the setting.
Strandveld is the home of the First Sighting and Strandveld wines. The winery has two cottages – both with an indoor fireplace, and kitchen facilities, en-suite bathrooms, not to mention wonderful garden views. Conveniently located close to Elim and Struisbaai.
This farm cottage is a perfect combination of old and modern. It has two bedrooms, with en-suite bathrooms. The cottage is situated on the Zoetendalsvlei – and you’ll enjoy the views from the kitchen. There’s no electricity here; this getaway is about connecting with nature, not technology.