Join the Wildlife Guided Tours – the ONLY tours in the Overberg to provide wildlife experiences with big game like Buffalo and Hippo.
You’ll head into a secret wetland and lake expanse, where game, birds and flora flourish. This photographic tour is on private land – and is not otherwise open to the public.
WILDLIFE GUIDED TOURS
You can see the Nuwejaars Wetlands Area for yourself, on one of our guided tours.
Tours run 7 days a week between 11 December 2020 and 28 February 2021. (We do take a break on 25 & 26 December and 1 January.)
Booking is essential
079 517 9032
Wildlife Guided Tour
What can you expect?
Morning Wildlife Guided Tour (R350/person, and half price for children aged 12 and under)
- We meet at the Black Oystercatcher at 8h30.
- We then take a trip through the rich landscapes of the Nuwejaars Wetlands SMA, passed wetlands and lakes. Look out for buffalo, hippo, eland, wildebeest, bontebok and Rau Quagga – not to mention smaller mammals. And if you’re a birder, you could see African Marsh Harrier, Black Harrier, Blue Cranes and loads more.
- We’ll serve you a cup of coffee and some rusks at a lookout point.
- You’ll be taken care of by one of our accredited SMA tour guides, who will have a wealth of knowledge on the game, birds and the rich fynbos.
- The tour lasts between 2-3 hours, weather dependent.
Sunset Wildlife Tour
Sunset Wildlife Tour (R400/person, and half price for children aged 12 and under)
- We meet at the Black Oystercatcher at 5pm.
- The tour will take you through farming landscapes, passed wetlands to Waagschaalvlei, where the hippo live. Look out for eland, wildebeest, bontebok and Rau Quagga, as well as our secretive waterbuck. There are also a host of smaller mammals living here. And for birders, you could see African Marsh Harrier, Black Harrier, Blue Crane and many more species.
- At the lake, you’ll relax with a glass of cool-climate wine (from wineries who are members of the Nuwejaars Wetlands SMA).
- (Bear in mind that while the hippo are generally quite active in the evenings, the weather may prevent them from showing themselves – and there is always the chance they’ll stay hidden during your trip.)
- You’ll be taken care of by our accredited SMA tour guides, and will have access to the hidden-away wetlands rich in plant- and bird life.
- The tour lasts around 2 hours, but is weather dependent.
Make it a weekend getaway and stay over at our NWSMA members’ accommodation.
The Jubilee Hill cottage is situated on the historical Zoetendals Vallei farm, and overlooks the Zoetendalsvlei – the largest freshwater lake in South Africa that is connected to the sea. The self-catering cottage is ideal for nature lovers, while the lake is used by kite-surfers and canoeists.
082 887 2373
Black Oystercatcher Cottages
The Black Oystercatcher offers 4 self-catering cottages, on the road between Bredasdorp and Elim. The cottages overlook the Agulhas Plain – and from here you can eat delicious meals and taste wine at the Black Oystercatcher Restaurant, or visit local sights (for example in nearby Elim).
028 482 1618
This house is situated on the beautiful Klipfontein Farm – a birder’s paradise (and also just down the road from Struisbaai). The house sleeps 10 – and visitors can walk, enjoy the game (including eland), cycle, or just enjoy the setting.
028 424 1990
Strandveld is the home of the First Sighting and Strandveld wines. The winery has two cottages – both with an indoor fireplace, and kitchen facilities, en-suite bathrooms, not to mention wonderful garden views. Conveniently located close to Elim and Struisbaai.
028 482 1902
This farm cottage is a perfect combination of old and modern. It has two bedrooms, with en-suite bathrooms. The cottage is situated on the Zoetendalsvlei – and you’ll enjoy the views from the kitchen. There’s no electricity here; this getaway is about connecting with nature, not technology.
028 424 1990