The Nuwejaars Wetlands Special Management Area (NWSMA) is a public benefit organisation, working to protect and manage the rivers, wetlands and wildlife on private land in the Agulhas Plain. Here 25 landowners and the community of Elim work together through an innovative conservation venture operating over 46,000 hectares.
An opportunity now exists for an Environmental Educator & Conservation Assistant to join the NWSMA team. We’re based just outside Bredasdorp, in the Overberg. The ideal candidate is a graduate looking for work experience.
- Guide school groups of all ages, ensuring a fun learning experience in the NWSMA’s Environmental Education programme.
- Assist in identifying and developing routes and lesson plans for school groups (age-appropriate lessons and info).
- Meet guests and visitors at the NWSMA office.
- Support Conservation Managers to manage and maintain the habitat, catchments, rivers and wetlands, including fire management.
- Support Conservation Managers to monitor fauna and flora.
- Support Conservation Managers to implement Invasive Species Control Programme.
- Support Conservation Managers to develop a research programme.
- Support infrastructure and maintenance plans.
- Support the implementation of a tourism plan.
- Support sustainable agriculture activities and extension.
- Support administrative functions.
- An appropriate qualification in Nature Conservation, Agriculture or FGASA training.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- A passion for children and confident to engage with school groups.
- A passion for and belief in the value of Environmental Education.
- Practical and hands-on to assist with day-to-day activities.
- Dynamic and enjoy being outdoors, as well as working with people.
- Knowledge of local fauna and flora will be an advantage.
- Experience with monitoring will be an advantage.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. A PDP license will be an advantage.
- Speak at least two of South Africa’s official languages.
- Confident to engage with school groups and broader public.
- Pro-active and self-motivated individual.
- Own transport essential.
Salary package is R5,000/month for a 1-year contract. A job competency test may be done before an individual is appointed. Apply by submitting your CV and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 18 November 2019